Asbestos is a silica mineral made of thousands of tiny fibers. These fibers make asbestos strong and make it an effective insulator, which made it a popular construction material in the late 1800s all the way to the late 1990s. Today, though, hundreds of rigorous scientific studies have shown asbestos to be a serious health hazard. Due to their size, asbestos fibers are easy to inhale, and when inhaled, they can remain in the lungs for years or even decades. These lingering fibers have been linked to major health problems, including cancer. Asbestos has since been banned for use in construction, but many existing structures still have asbestos in them. If you suspect your home or business may contain asbestos, here are some steps for how to proceed.
First, don’t disturb the material. If there’s a chance the material contains asbestos, touching it could put you at risk. This is especially important if the material is damaged, as any breaches or tears expose the fibers to the air and put you at greater risk to inhale them. Even a small amount of asbestos fibers in your lungs can lead to long-term health consequences. If the material is intact, in some cases, it may be best to leave it there and seal it away in a process called encapsulation. This method uses special paint or other sealants to prevent asbestos fibers from spreading. Our professionals at Double D Construction Services, Inc. can recommend the best solution.
Second, call a professional. Asbestos removal is not something that should be approached with DIY methods–only certified asbestos removal specialists have the proper training and equipment to safely handle, remove, or encapsulate asbestos. Our team at Double D Construction Services, Inc. has years of experience dealing with asbestos, and we know how to remove it without risk to ourselves or to you. If you suspect you may have asbestos in your home or business, give us a call to get a professional inspection.